At UMBC, we are committed to inclusive excellence and innovation. We are proud to be one of the fastest-growing and most diverse public research universities in the nation. Our vibrant campus is regarded as a new model for American higher education, where talented students, faculty, and staff thrive in a culture that embraces new ideas.
Our Vision Statement
Our UMBC community redefines excellence in higher education through an inclusive culture that connects innovative teaching and learning, research across disciplines, and civic engagement. We will advance knowledge, economic prosperity, and social justice by welcoming and inspiring inquisitive minds from all backgrounds.
One core way in which UMBC fulfills its commitment to inclusive excellence is through structures and processes that actively incorporate voices from across our campus community in university decision-making. This type of shared governance allows us to explore diverse perspectives on the kind of community we want to be and a range of approaches for how we can get there. UMBC’s primary shared governance groups include:
- Faculty Senate: The Faculty Senate supports the success of faculty and students through its central role in the shared governance process. It speaks on behalf of the faculty in regards to faculty independence, promotion, tenure, and retention; requirements for awarding undergraduate and graduate degrees; and reviews of academic departments and programs. It also supports and makes recommendations regarding the establishment of policies for the research, scholarship, and creative activities that are the cornerstone of a strong university.
- Graduate Student Association: The Graduate Student Association represents the interests and concerns of all graduate students attending UMBC, by providing them with a forum for discussions of and recommendations on matters involving graduate students and their welfare at UMBC.
- Nonexempt Staff Senate: The Non-exempt Staff Senate represents the interests and concerns of all levels of the non-exempt staff not otherwise represented by an exclusive bargaining agent; supports the administration and academic community with the knowledge, skills, and abilities of this constituency; provides a forum for discussion and recommendation on matters involving this constituency and the welfare of UMBC; participates, in an advisory capacity, in the review and implementation of University policies.
- Professional Staff Senate: The Professional Staff Senate represents the interests and concerns of the exempt staff at UMBC; certifies elections of members to committees as provided in the Plan of Organization; provides a forum for discussion and recommendations on matters involving exempt staff and the welfare of UMBC; reviews academic and administrative policy as it affects the exempt staff; develops committees and acts within these committees as a vehicle to serve the membership.
- Student Government Association: The Student Government Association promotes the recognition of students’ rights and responsibilities; individual and collective thought; student interests and needs; and school spirit and involvement. It empowers the student body to defend this mission.